Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Pumpkin Apple Breakfast Muffins



Santa Cruz is a pretty friendly place for dietary restrictions- vegan, vegetarian, raw, gluten-free, no nuts... you can find it all. However, locating a tasty dairy-free muffin was pretty much impossible; oh how I tried. DC has undeniably less options, and I haven't really located a vegan bakery that I love. That said, I got to meet one of the owners from Free For All Cupcakes, but haven't sampled yet. I've resorted instead of continuing the search to making my own, and while I'm sure these are delectable smeared with a pat of butter, they're also moist, crumbly, and complex all on their own. Grab one with an autumn comice pear for a quick breakfast.



Like my other pumpkin recipes, I peeled, chopped, and steamed the flesh before mashing it for these muffins.

Pumpkin Apple Breakfast Muffins Recipe

I made 12 minimuffins from this recipe, but if you're looking for heady, voluptuous muffins, go for making 9 instead.

1 large apple (I used a New York Macintosh), peeled, and finely chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup whipped light silken tofu
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon soy milk


After dicing the apple, add the sugar and let the juices accumulate while you get the rest of the recipe together.

In a large bowl mix the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda.

Add the pumpkin, tofu, canola oil, egg, vanilla, and soymilk to the apples and sugar.

Add the wet ingredients to the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix just to combine. Don't over stir, lumps are good.

Grease a muffin tin with cooking spray, distribute your batter, and bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes. If you make 9 muffins, you'll probably need to cook them closer to 20, but be careful not to overcook.

Enjoy your muffins! These keep well sealed in the fridge, or you can freeze them and warm them up in the microwave.

Nutrition Estimate for 12 muffins: Calories 85.2. Total Fat 1.5g. Carbohydrates 16.7. Fiber 1.8g. Sugars .1g. Protein 2.5g.

No comments: