Sunday, November 09, 2008

Zucchini Pumpkin Bread



For the first time I took a ride today down to Eastern Market and vow to go back to pick up my leg of lamb for Thanksgiving roasting. I feel like I've discovered a new gem in the city, even though it's no secret that Eastern Market is a trendy spot. Since I moved to DC about a year ago I've mostly stuck around NW, what with the Dupont and Mount Pleasant Farmers' Markets so close; but one that's open daily? I'm sold.

On my bike ride home I joyously giggled in my toe straps at the changing leaves and warm sun on my cheeks. Knowing this is one of the last of the warm days, and prepared for the chill ahead, I thought of the contents of my fridge...

Stuck with a leftover zucchini and more pumpkin than I can wrap my head around, I needed something tasty, that would make the rest of the house smell good. Between my recent squash fetish, the changing of the leaves, my influx of tea consumption, and the newly-bought bag of whole wheat flour, how could I resist an afternoon with floury hands?

In pulling out my mixing bowl and bread pan, I realized, "ah crap, I don't have a cheese grater." But why would I have one? When was the last time I bought cheese? Man, depressing chain of thoughts there... To make this recipe I diced some zucchini and pumpkin and julienned a bit to add a different texture component. Turned out grate! Ouch.

This is a recipe adapted from epicurious but is pretty heavily toyed with. The bread turned out crusty on top, deliciously moist in the center, and an overall delight. Not bad for a graterless neo-baker.



Zucchini Pumpkin Bread

1 cup zucchini, minced (1/8")
1/2 cup zucchini, julienned
7/8 cup raw sweet pumpkin, minced (1/8")
1/8 cup raw sweet pumpkin, julienned


Dry
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Wet
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup pumpkin butter (applesauce works too)
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup light silken tofu, blended into yogurt-like consistency
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Grease a bread pan.

Mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. (Now's a good time to preheat the oven to 350 degrees F) Beat together the wet ingredients and sugar in a large bowl. Add the zucchini and pumpkin to the wet ingredients and mix. Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl of wet ingredients and stir until just combined.

Pour everything into the greased bread pan, and bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until your tester comes out mostly clean. It took 1:10 in my oven, which is notoriously inconsistent. Careful not to over bake.

Nutrition Estimate Per Serving (12 slices): Calories 245.5. Total fat 6.6g. Saturated fat 3.8g. Total Carbohydrates 44.3g. Dietary Fiber 3.5g. Sugars 2.7g. Protein 4.9g.

1 comment:

Sara Habein said...

Your page makes me hungry, so you're doing your job! ha

Thanks for linking me. I will do the same.